[RIF-RDF-OWL/Core] ## vs. rdfs:subClassOf (Fwd: A technical RIF question)

Hi all,

Ivan raised the question why ## was not in RIF Core... I tried to exploit my memories on this as good as I can, but I am not 100% sure whether I got everything right and would seek confirmation of the group. Also, there's a small issue which I don't like and want to raise here...

since from the mails below, the thread may be hard to grasp, let me summarise:

Ivan asked for the reason of the absence of ## in RIF Core - in the context of modelling rdfs:subclassOf .
I didn't really remember precisely the details why we dropped ## from Core, but pointed Ivan to the difference
between ## and rdfs:subclassOf , that is, ## not being reflexive.

However, what then still worried me a bit is following:
Note that http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-rdf-owl/ restricts RDF-OWL interpretations
in such a way that ## implies rdfs:subclass but not the other way around.
The Embedding of RIF combinations in Section 9.1.3 of
http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-rdf-owl/ enforces this by a rule... which then makes even the
embedding of simple RDF entailment go outside RIF Core... I am not sure whether I like this. :-|

Ivan, suspected even a "bug" here, by the assumption that if I talk about simple and RDF interpretations,
I shouldn't worry about the RDFS vocabulary, but I wouldn't go that far:

As far as I can see, this is not problematic. We just restrict that when you throw RIF and RDF stuff together,
a link is made from ## to rdf:subclasss... that implies that anything which is stated as ## in RIF is
exported to rdfs:subclassOf (but NOT the other way around!) only in RIF-RDFS-entailment this would have
cross-effects (since RDFS interpretations imply reflexivity on rdfs:subclass), but not in RIF-Simple and RIF-RDF.

Still, and here I think Ivan's concern plays a role, I don't like that now for embedding simple
RDF or RDF in RIF, I need non-core rules... in fact, it seems to me that the rule
in Section 9.1.3 of http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-rdf-owl/

 Forall ?x ?y (?x[rdfs:subClassOf -> ?y] :- ?x ## ?y]) ))

is irrelevant for Simple and RDF entailments. Particularly, this is the case as long as the  RIF ruleset in the combination does not use ##.
Can you confirm this?

If I had a wishlist, I would opt for moving the semantic condition on

"7. IEXT(IS(rdfs:subClassOf)) is a superset of the set of all pairs (a, b) in Dind x Dind such that Itruth(Isub(a,b))=t;"

to just apply for RIF-RDFS-models "upwards"

Can we still change this?

Axel

Begin forwarded message: