Re: [PRD] new version on Wiki

Hi Gary,

Gary Hallmark <gary.hallmark@oracle.com> wrote on 05/02/2010 07:37:50:

> replace "consists in" with "consists of".
> replace "that have been applied the following syntactic normalization:"
> with "that have been normalized as follows:"
>
> replace "group group" with "group"

Done.

> Bigger issues:
>
> the EBNF lets me write "Retract(?X "all")". The "all" doesn't make sense

> here.

Right. I realized that I had to change the EBNF just before I sent the
email, and I did that a bit too fast.

It should have been something like:

Retract        ::= 'Retract' '(' ( Atom | Frame "all"? | Var | Const ) ')'

> If I do want to retract all values for a given frame slot _S, I guess I
> would write
> "Retract(?O[_S->"I can put anything here which is odd."] "all")"

I agree that using a whole frame where we need only a frame object and a
slot is odd; esp. since we do not have pattern variables in PRD. I did it
that way to minimize the changes (e.g. keep the reference to the target
unchanged etc).

Still, I would prefer to overload the existing Retract, rather than add a
whole new construct. What about:

Retract        ::= 'Retract' '(' ( Atom | Frame | Var | Const | TERM TERM
) ')'

And, for the XML syntax (where the "ordered" attribute is required only in
when the TERM TERM syntax is used):

    <Retract>
       <target ordered="yes"?> [ Atom | Frame | TERM | TERM TERM ]
</target>
    </Retract>

Cheers,

Christian

IBM
9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel. +33 1 49 08 35 00
Fax +33 1 49 08 35 10

Compagnie IBM France
Siege Social : 17 avenue de l'Europe, 92275 Bois-Colombes Cedex
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 611.451.766,20 ?
SIREN/SIRET : 552 118 465 03644