From: public-rif-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-rif-wg-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Michael Kifer
Sent: November 28, 2009 2:37 AM
To: RIF WG Public list
Subject: issues with the Base directive

We realized that none of our documents has even a single example of the
Base
directive in the presentation syntax. So, we modified the BLD examples
to show
how Base should be used. See, for example Ex 1 and others in
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/BLD

However, when it came to Example 8, a question arose as to how to
reflect Base
in XML. In the WG, Base was requested as a counterpart of the XML
directive
xml:base. But the xml:base document http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/
does not say which strings are to be expanded using the xml:base
directive.
It says that "each XML vocabulary is to decide for itself."
The xml:base document is rather vague on that point and the question is,
where should such a decision be recorded?

We thought that adding some English text in the XML appendix saying that
relative IRIs in <Const type="&rif;iri">....</Const> are expanded using
xml:base is a reasonable solution.
Sandro seems to also think it is reasonable.

Anybody has another idea?

Btw, another good question is whether relative URIs can be used in the
Prefix/Import directives (and be expandable using Base).
Thoughts?