Re: ISSUE: OWL-DL compatibility

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:15:53 +0100
Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it> wrote:

> Michael Kifer wrote:

> >> The semantic correspondence between subclasses in OWL and ## in RIF is
> >> defined as follows [1]:
> >>
> >> C(c) is a subset of C(d) whenever Itruth(Isub(IC(<c>),IC(<d>))) = t, for
> >> any two IRIs c and d
> >> Now, since there is a strict separation between the interpretation of
> >> individuals and classes in the OWL direct semantics, we cannot objects
> >> in Dind to represent classes. Thus, like we did for frame formulas, we
> >> need to change the interpretation of subclass formulas [2]:
> >>
> >> Isub is a mapping D × D → D
> >>

> >> If we now want to embed this modified RIF into standard RIF [3] the only
> >> embedding I can come up with for b##c is
> >> (a)  Forall ?x (tr'(c)(?x) :- tr'(b)(?x))
> >>

> > So, where is the universal quantifier in the body?
> > What you have here is an axiom schema in RIF of the form:
> >
> > Forall ?x (tr'(c)(?x) :- tr(b)##tr(c) and tr'(b)(?x))
> >

> I was also originally thinking about such an axiom schema, but that will
> not work, since class identifiers are not in Dind.
> This axiom schema would create unwanted connections between individuals
> in Dind and classes.
>
> Consider for example an OWL ontology with the statements:
> a=b
> a subclass c
>
> This ontology does not entail b subclass c. When adding the mentioned
> axiom and a##c to the ontology, b subclass c is entailed.

Hold on! a,b, and c are predicates. How can you write a=b in BLD?
If you meant a=b in OWL-DL, then it means a subclass b and b subclass a, isn't
it? So, b subclass c is entailed. If you mean a=b in RDF then this cannot be
even mapped to BLD.

In any case, I don't see how any of your arguments support your assertion that
## in the rule body somehow bring universal quantification into the rule bodies
of BLD.
To me this all looks like a non-sequitur. If you can provide a formal argument,
please do.

regards
michael