Re: ISSUE: OWL-DL compatibility

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:06:06 +0100
Jos de Bruijn <debruijn@inf.unibz.it> wrote:

> >> I updated the syntax and semantics of RIF-OWL DL combinations, as well
> >> as the embedding of RIF-OWL 2 RL combinations accordingly:
> >
> > Thanks Jos.
> > Please see questions within.
> >
> >> - in class membership formulas a#b, b must be a constant symbol
> >> - in subclass formulas b##c, c,b must be constant symbols
> >> - subclass formulas may only occur as facts
> >>
> >> I imposed the last restriction, because I believe that in BLD-OWL 2 RL
> >> combinations, using subclass statements in rule bodies necessarily
> >> amounts to have been to introduce universal quantification in the body,
> >> making such combinations outside horn, which I think is undesirable.
> >
> > Can you elaborate? How does this introduce universal quantification?
>
> The semantic correspondence between subclasses in OWL and ## in RIF is
> defined as follows [1]:
>
> C(c) is a subset of C(d) whenever Itruth(Isub(IC(<c>),IC(<d>))) = t, for
> any two IRIs c and d

Just to be clear: "whenever" means "if" here, right?

> Now, since there is a strict separation between the interpretation of
> individuals and classes in the OWL direct semantics, we cannot objects
> in Dind to represent classes. Thus, like we did for frame formulas, we
> need to change the interpretation of subclass formulas [2]:
>
> Isub is a mapping D × D → D
>

> If we now want to embed this modified RIF into standard RIF [3] the only
> embedding I can come up with for b##c is
> (a)  Forall ?x (tr'(c)(?x) :- tr'(b)(?x))

So, where is the universal quantifier in the body?
What you have here is an axiom schema in RIF of the form:

Forall ?x (tr'(c)(?x) :- tr(b)##tr(c) and tr'(b)(?x))

It does not mean that this axion is substituted in the body of a rule whenever
c##b appears there. Otherwise, you would be claiming that Horn F-logic is not
Horn, for example.

michael