Re: AW: Two issues with RIF-Core

On 9 May 2009, at 13:40, Sandro Hawke wrote:
[snip]
> Right.  The interesting/challening part, I believe, is that Gary wants
> to translate frames to Java objects.  Doing so will require some
> cleverness, since there are significant semantics/functionality
> differences, but hopefully will give significant performance gains.
> Ternary predicates are typically not super fast at matching (a,b,?).

Really?

> (For example, SWI-Prolog uses a specially indexed structure for RDF
> triples/quads, because normal predicate indexing is too slow.)

I wouldn't think that's the issue. Predicate indexing is typically one
of the more optimized part of a Prolog engine (for obvious reasons). A
uniform ternary predicate *defeats* predicate indexing because there's
only one predicate. By default, IIRC and it hasn't changed, most
Prolog engines do predicate plus first argument indexing, though you
can change that, e.g.,:
	http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~catuscia/teaching/prolog/Manual/sec-3.11.html#sec
:3.11.1
	http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~catuscia/teaching/prolog/Manual/sec-3.12.html#index/