Re: [RDF+OWL] Way of connecting RDF and RIF lists

Jos de Bruijn wrote:

>>> No. We were talking about ground lists, and ground=no variables.
>> My confusion was whether we meant the resulting lists are ground i.e.
>> are we just ruling out prolog lists with unbound variables in them or
>> blocking all "runtime" construction of lists. You are saying the later
>> which was my impression also.
>>
>> In that case Lists are completely useless in Core.
>>
>> Am I allowed to have a DTB builtin for constructing lists? I remember
>> this being discussed at the f2f but couldn't follow the argument against
>> it.
>
> Yes, you can use the builtins. Because of this the lists are not useless
> and, also, your system is not guaranteed to terminate.

So why the restriction to ground lists? Could we not just define safety
over List terms analogously to externals?

As far as I can see I can translate any usage of List with variables to
an equivalent using externals:

    ... List(?x ?y) ...

=>

       ?Z = func:insert-before(func:insert-before(List(), 0, ?y), 0, ?x))

The syntactic restriction to ground List elements doesn't seem to be
serving any purpose.

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England