[BLD] ACTION-

Here a summary on how my comments on BLD were addressed.
I think the last couple of things should be easy to implement....

this completes action http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/track/actions/823

Some things which remain open:

> * Section 2 if it is not normative, then section 2.6 should be marked
>  "(Informative)" explicitly.

This wasn't addressed. I suggested to change:

2.6 EBNF Grammar for the Presentation Syntax of RIF-BLD

2.6 EBNF Grammar for the Presentation Syntax of RIF-BLD (Informative)

> * Section 2.1
>
> 'Const', 'Var' could be linked to the respective productions in the
> EBNF.
>
> Remarks: Would it make sense to change 'Names' to 'ArgNames' in the
> EBNF (independently of the previous point) and XML syntac or - vice
> versa - not to speak about the set  <tt>ArgNames</tt> but use
> <tt>Names</tt> instead?

was not addressed, but well, was only meant as suggestion.

> Change: reference "Section Constants and Symbol Spaces" to "Section
> Constants, Symbol Spaces, and Datatypes", this occurs several times.

has not been addressed, this reference is not the subsection where the
shortcuts are explained. either refere generically to Section 1 (Section
Constants, Symbol Spaces, and Datatypes) or to the subsections of 1.2

> * Appendix 10
>
> similar to the Examples, the text should not be in fixed width font.

has not been addressed yet.

Some more things in reply to Michael's notes on the review:

Michael Kifer wrote:
> Thanks Axel for your detailed review. We applied most of your
> suggestions.
>
> Just few brief notes:
>
> 1. List (1|2) = 1 is unsatisfiable because the image of Ilist is
> disjoint from the data types.

ok, had overlooked that I guess.

> Is there something in the definition
> that makes it seem as if this is satisfiable?

no then.

> 2. Abridged notation. As far as rif's presentation syntax is
> concerned, this is abridged notation (and CSMA even wants it to be
> marked non-normative). If you have a better name for it - fine.
> Otherwise, it is quite descriptive.

I suggest to speak about "compact representation" of IRIs instead of
"abridged representation", that is also compliant with the rest of the
document where
you speak about "compact IRIs" (BTW: URI should be changed consistently
to IRI, or is there a particular reason why you speak about compact URIs
instead of IRIs?)

> 3. In several places (related to conformance) you proposed to replace
>  T with DTS. Actually, T is not a DTS but a set of data types and
> symbol spaces. This mention of symbol spaces was sometimes missing
> and some times they were incorrectly called namespaces. I fixed that.

ok.

> 4. Reference to the complexity of unification of named arg terms when
>  arg names can be nonground terms rather than constants.
>
> I don't know of such a reference, but it is pretty easy to see that
> it is likely exponential. It is similar to commutative and
> associative unification, which is known to be NP-hard. For instance,
>  http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.49.8880
> Probably has a reduction from it (never tried to prove it, but seems
> quite simple). This is because bags (which are arguments to named arg
>  terms) can be represented as terms that are composed using an
> associative and commutative function symbol.
>
> Anyway, given that there is no direct reference, I think it is hard
> to do what you suggested in a concise way.

Ok, let's leave this out and see whether we get comments.

> 5. Primitive data types. The name is probably not optimal. Better
> suggestions? I think simply "datatype" can be misleading because RIF
> does not define any means of composing data types, unlike XML schema.

I understand this has been addressed.

> 6. rif:local's as external names. I agree that they make no
> conceptual sense. But do we really need to disallow them? Note that
> because of the definition of external schemas, local symbols used as
> externals won't cause any problems for whoever uses them. This is
> just weird, but not outrageous.

well, I think it is indeed weird, but if nobody supports the wish to
disallow them, I am fine.

--
Dr. Axel Polleres
Digital Enterprise Research Institute, National University of Ireland,