Re: [Fwd: Re: [BLD] problem with definition of entailment]

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:20:35 -0400
Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com> wrote:

> I started digging into this today.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/BLD#Logical_Entailment
>
> - The new definition of Models misses the definition of a model of a condition
> formula, which is used in the new definition of logical entailment.  In the case
> where we keep this document-entails-condition version of entailment, the
> definition of model should be augmented.

This notion is not needed and so it is not there.

> - The new version still invokes the word query in a very informal way.  Perhaps
> the reader should be forewarned that query is used informally and intuitively
> here (yes its now better than it was before in this regard).

The word queries does not appear in any of the definitions. It appears in
discussions where this is used in its informal English meaning -- just like any
other English word that appears in those discussions.
Moreover, the use of this word is explained right there in the next sentence.

> - I like the simplicity of the new definitions, but I don't like nor understand
> why you restricted the definition of entailment only to condition formulae.  I
> think I'm OK with documents entailing formulae, but why not all (non-document)
> formulae?  Currently, eg rule entailment is undefined.  Why do you think this is
> better, Jos?

There is no need to define any other notion of entailment.
Compliance is required only for entailment of conditions, so only this is
really required. Other definitions are just red herring and distraction.
People might be scared or confused into thinking that they must implement that.
On top of this, this would require 2-3 all paragraphs of definitions, which are
completely superfluous.

> - I'm in agreement with Jos, that local constants cannot be accessed outside
> their "scope" - at least that was the intuition of local constants I understood.
>   However, in thinking about that issue it struck me that this might be a major
> incompatibility with FOL.

You did not understand the issue.
Local constants CANNOT be accessed outside of their scope.

The only change is that in the old definition a query to a document, D, is
assumed to be outside of ANY scope, while in the new definition it is in the
scope of D. So, a query to D can see the local constants of D. But it cannot
see the local constants of the documents imported by D.

The old definition (where the query is outside of every scope) was flawed.  My
attempts to "fix" the definition with minimal changes were awkward and
unsatisfactory.  Jos proposed couple of amendments, which also were
flawed. There is a way to define this correctly, but it is more complex,
unnecessary, and, in my opinion, leads to counter-intuitive inferences.

For instance, if D = {p(_a)}, where _a is local, then the query
?- p(_a) fails (as is any other ground query).
But ?- p(?X) returns "yes" without binding ?X to anything.

This can be especially frustrating if the user actually stares at D and sees
p(_a) in D clear as day. But the query p(_a) still says "no".

From a practical point of view, whether it is Definition 1 or 2 does not
matter. Properly constructed RIF documents are not supposed to expose local
constants to querying (not by obscuring them, but by structuring the rules
properly).

	--michael