Re: [RIF-Abridge PS] ACTION-569

Let me make something clear:

The EBNF for the presentation syntax in BLD is NOT NORMATIVE.  It is not
normative because it is *horrible* and we could not get the working group to
accept it.  However, no one was willing to propose a better alternative
(including Hassan), everyone just criticized it.

"Not normative" means, to me, that the presentation syntax is not a sanctioned
way to express and exchange rules in BLD.  It is solely for the purposes of
expressing the semantics.

However, it is clear (and has always been) that people will benefit from having
a reasonable presentation (non-XML) syntax to write BLD rules in, and equally
clear that such a syntax would benefit from some tooling, as Hassan is
proposing.  So, I consider the matter of the presentation syntax serialization -
the nuts&bolts of the syntax including delimiters, the actual characters used,
so-called shortcuts, etc., to be a matter still open for discussion and I would
simply *love* for someone to take the time to specify one that is usable and
acceptable to the group.  The APS is a great start along these lines.  If done
right, it could be included back into the spec as normative.

-Chris