Re: [PRD] PICK specification

Changhai Ke wrote:
> Gary and all,
>
> It's not easy to write the comments in an email, let me try. I need to
> place your email in the general context of PRD working draft 2 (dated
> Sept 22).

I think you should really be looking at the latest at
http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/PRD
> Production systems (or inference systems) have this cycle:
> - Match: evaluate the rules to determine which are fireable,
> constitution of rule instances
> - Select: selection of a rule instance to fire, the famous PICK function
> below. (the famous PICK function is here).
> - Act: execution of the selected rule's actions.
>
> As a first amendment, I think PRD WD should explain this cycle. This is
> currently missing and is to be added.

This is the meat of the spec and is described formally as a labeled
terminal transition system.
> From there, we can determine a "cycle number". Initially, the cycle
> number is 0, then it increases by 1 at each rule execution cycle. As a
> matter of fact, the initial facts (if any) will be the facts present at
> cycle 0.
>
> Per my comment above, I prefer that the term "age" be mapped into "cycle
> number". In fact, in your proposal (correct me if I misunderstand), you
> are placed at the cycle N, and age represents the number of cycles prior
> to the cycle N. It's hard to figure out how age evolves, and in which
> direction. So can we use "cycle number" instead, and talk about
> "cycle(n)", "cycle(n+1)" (the next cycle)?

clearly there is an isomorphism here.  I think of prior cycles as the
history, and so "age" seems like a reasonable term.
> The other comment is about "PICK" itself. In all the explanations, it
> seems that we materialize a list of rule instances, that can be ordered,
> and then you choose the first one. This is already a biased
> understanding.
>
> Some PR systems use a "lazy matching" algorithm. At each cycle, the
> engine computes the right instance to fire. Behind, there is not
> necessarily a list of rule instances that you can order. Of course, the
> result is the same, you only need to pick (or compute) one instance to
> fire. We can continue to use "PICK", but maybe a comment can be added in
> this direction, and at least we should acknowledge the existence of
> "lazy matching".

No.  This is a formal spec, not an implementation guide.
> I also included other comments below, in the text.
>
> Regards,
>
> Changhai

Agreed.  We need some syntax at the ruleset level to designate the
(conflict resolution) strategy as either FIFO or LIFO, and an accessor
strategy(rs) that returns either FIFO or LIFO if rs is a ruleset.
> We need some helpers:
>
> picked(c) returns the rule instance that was picked when in
> configuration c.
>
> prior(c, 0) returns c.
> prior(c', 1) returns c, where c' is the next configuration after c, as
> given by the overall PRD transition system.
> prior(c, age) = prior(prior(c, age - 1), 1)
>
> [CK]
> Per my comment above, I prefer to translate these statements by the use
> of "cycle" and "cycle number". It's an absolute axis.
> [/CK]
>
> priority(r) returns a number, where r is a rule. Higher numbers mean
> higher priority.
> repeatable(r) returns true or false, where r is a rule.  If false, then
> no instance of r can directly cause another instance of r to fire.
>
> [CK]
> repetable is not the same thing as refraction. Your sentence raises
> several remarks.
> First, in PRD, we should use the term "refraction", it's used in most of
> the papers. It means that a rule instance fired won't fire again, unless
> its condition elements change again.

You'll have to do a better job with the definition of "refraction".  My
notion of "repeatable" is precisely defined in my specification of PICK,
below.  You should propose an alternative definition of PICK that
captures what you mean by
"unless its condition elements change again"
> Repeatable is yet another concept. It's a per-rule or per modification
> concept. I don't think it's part of the PICK function.
> [/CK]

Well, it certainly *is* part of my proposed PICK function.  So you'll
have to propose another.
> PICK(order, c) is defined as follows.
> First, we construct the agenda relation A(priority, age, ri) where ri is
>
> a rule instance and the other 2 arguments are numbers.  The tuple
> (priority, age, ri) is in A iff both the following are true:
> 1. one of the following is true:
>     a. repeatable(rule(ri)) is true and age is the greatest i such that
> ri is in prior(c, i) and ri is in prior(c, i-1) and ... and ri is in
> prior(c, 0) and ri != picked(prior(c, i)) and ri != picked(prior(c,
> i-1)) and ... and ri != picked(prior(c, 1)), or
>     b. repeatable(rule(ri)) is false and age is the greatest i such that
>
> ri is in prior(c, i) and ri is in prior(c, i-1) and ... and ri is in
> prior(c, 0) and rule(ri) != rule(picked(prior(c, i))) and rule(ri) !=
> rule(picked(prior(c, i-1))) and ... and rule(ri) != rule(picked(prior(c,
>
> 1))), and
> 2. priority = priority(rule(ri)).
>

> [CK]
> It's a bit heavy to repeat the same thing for each cycle.
> At each cycle, all the rules that are satisfied are instantiated and
> become fireable. After this phase, you eliminate the instances using the
> repeatable or non-repeatable setting, then we obtain the real list of
> candidates.
> [/CK]

you do know the difference between a formal specification and an
implementation, right?