Re: [BLD] Action on Uniterms in XML -- Proposed Poll

Harold wrote:

> This email contains a proposed 'negation as silence' poll
> (OK, it might not reach you in time or your response might
> not reach me in time, but this discussion started at F2F9).
> Proposed uniterm deadline: Friday, March 14, 12Noon EDT
>
> I have been assuming an HLD (HiLog Dialect) that takes up
> the neutrality of Hterms (Uniterms) in the W3C Submission
> of SWSL-Rules: http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWSF-SWSL
>
> The HiLog term ?Z(?X,a)(b,?X(?Y)(d)) there is serialized
> according to our current BLD draft as shown below (as in
> the previous examples, I omit "^^" types for simplicity):
>
> 	    <Uniterm>
> 	       <op>
> 	          <Uniterm>
> 	             <op><Var>Z</Var></op>
> 	             <arg><Var>X</Var></arg>
> 	             <arg><Const>a</Const></arg>
> 	          </Uniterm>
> 	       </op>
> 	       <arg><Const>b</Const></arg>
> 	       <arg>
>                <Uniterm>
> 	           <op>
> 	             <Uniterm>
>                       <op><Var>X</Var></op>
>                       <arg><Var>Y</Var></arg>
> 	             </Uniterm>
> 	           </op>
> 	           <arg><Const>d</Const></arg>
> 	         </Uniterm>
>              </arg>
> 	    </Uniterm>
>
> The neutrality of that term permits to assign it to a
> variable which can occur in other terms, where it will
> be contextually interpreted by the HLD semantics.

Just for the record: You are referring to XML as if it is some kind of an
inference engine!

XML is a parse tree interwoven into syntax -- no more and no less. It has
no bearing *whatsoever* on which terms can be assigned to logical
variables.  A model theoretic (or operational) *semantics* (and *nothing
else*) determines this.