Re: ISSUE-61 (IRI-Casts): Casting to/from rif:iri [DTB]

For all: I added a strawman for the

  pred:iri-to-string( iri string )

in the DTB document. Comments welcome!
more remarks to jos' reply inline below.

Jos de Bruijn wrote:

>> So, my point for that proposal was that - at least syntactically - I
>> would like this to look like a cast function and not a predicate.
>
> Why?  It's not function, so you should not lead people to believe that
> it is.

>> If I understood michael correctly, the other direction
>>
>>   rif:iri("b"^^xsd:string) = "b"^^rif:iri
>>
>> can still work, yes?
 >
> I see no technical problem with it.

... so, it *is* a function then, right? in the rif:iri direction, i
mean, it is just that the definition is slightly different than the
other built-in functions.

>> At least that would save the casts *to* rif:iri, and we only need the
>> predicate for  string-to-iri ... yes?
>
> It seems to me that this just complicates matters; users need to learn
> both the predicate and the "function", which probably doesn't really
> behave as they expect.

*users* don't need to learn anything new, they can use cast functions
just like for data types, which is intuitive. If we add new predicates,
they need to learn something new, this is why I want to keep functions
for conversions wherever possible.

> It seems simpler to have just a predicate.  We need to define fewer
> things and the users will need to learn fewer things.

Please look at the current state of the document, and let me know what
you think now...

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Polleres, Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI)

Everything is possible:
rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:Resource.
rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:subPropertyOf.
rdf:type rdfs:subPropertyOf rdfs:subClassOf.
rdfs:subClassOf rdf:type owl:SymmetricProperty.