Re: BLD: externally defined frames

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 16:54:09 +0200
Christian de Sainte Marie <csma@ilog.fr> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Maybe we could take the opportunity of a slow summer to progress on the
> issue of externally defined Frames.
>
> As I wrote in [1], I understood, at F2F10, that an external frame was a
> frame in an external data source. I did not like the idea of handling
> the access to external data sources on a construct by construct basis,
> but since you insisted and nobody else objected...
>
> But the explanation in BLD seems to say, either that an externally
> defined frame is a frame where the data model (slots etc) is externally
> defined ("externally defined objects can be accessed using the more
> natural frame-based interface" [2]), or that, when a Frame is external,
> it is really the slot that is an externally defined method ("...could be
> an interface provided to access an externally defined method..." [2]).
>
> Both interpretations might be problematic: the first one would imply
> that we deal with references to externally defined data models on a
> construct by construct basis; as for the latter one, if it is the method
> that is externally specified, then it seems that the slot should be
> External, not the Frame...
>
> Can you clarify, please

Yes, clarifying: I have only a foggy idea of what you are talking about :-)

I understand neither what is problematic in the above nor the difference
between what you call an externally defined frame or method.

FYI, a data model is, by definition, a set of types of relationships
that are required to be used in specifying data instances.
Wikipedia goes even further and adds to it
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_model).

So, a terminology mismatch here.

I cannot figure out what you mean by "deal with references to externally
defined data models on a construct by construct basis".

What you aparently do not understand is that whether we use a restricted subset
of forms or not, it is you, the modeller, who decides what to use and how, not
the external source. If you want to model me and other people as tuples in a
relation

p(m,k,123456789)

all the power to you.  If I want to model you as an object in my application,
RIF allows me to:

csma[id->987654321, last->dsm, first ->c]

But if I do not want to, I can model you (and other people) as above:

p(c,dsm,987654321)

	--michael