Re: FLD review

Jos, thanks for the comments.
Almost all the comments have been addressed modulo some of the following.

    The substantive comment is concerned with the name of the dialects, in
    the Dialect() construct.  It is now required to be an alphanumeric
    string.  I think this is too restrictive.  I think it should at least be
    possible to write IRIs there.  I personally don't think we need to allow
    anything else, but would be fine with this being a Unicode string or a
    constant.

Agreed - done.

    The discussion points are the following:
    - the logical connectives in the language do not include material
    implication and equivalence.I do not really understand the rationale for
    including certain connectives and not including others.
    - it seems to me that the classical negation is not sufficiently general
    to capture the notion of strong negation in logic programs.  Do we want
    to capture this notion with FLD?

These are all good points, which should be discussed after the 2nd draft is
published.

    A suggestion for simplification is concerned with the definition of
    semantic structures.  I think it can be simplified in two places:
    - I= can be removed: the condition on the interpretation of equality
    atoms in section 3.6 is necessary and sufficient, which means that I= is
    determined by this condition and is thus redundant. the truth valuation
    of equality atoms can be written as follows:
    TValI(x = y) = t if I(x) = I(y) and TValI(x = y) = f otherwise.
    - Iframe need only be defined for the cases of 0 and 1 property-value
    pairs; the condition on the interpretation of frames with multiple
    attribute-value pairs makes the definition of Iframe on frames with
    multiple attribute-value pairs redundant.the truth valuation of frames
    can then be defined as follows:
    TValI(o[a1->v1 ... ak->vk]) = glbt(Itruth(I(o[a1->v1])), ...,
    Itruth(I(ak->vk])))  if k >0.
    TValI(o[]) = Itruth(I(o[])).

The semantics was defined the way it was defined in order to allow dialects
to reify the equality statements, frames with multiple attribute-value
pairs, etc. This includes running variables over such statements, etc. If
we adopt your suggestions then it is unclear how this goal can be achieved.

    Further editorial comments:

    General:
    - when writing compact URIs, parentheses, and variables in the text you
    sometimes  teletype font and sometimes not.  I would suggest always
    using teletype font.

We did not find the uses of compact IRIs  that do not use teletype except
for the cases when they are links. Teletype font looks strange in links,
but this might be subjective.

As to the parentheses, the convention is to use teletype when the
parentheses are part of a formula, and use regular font otherwise.
Can you point to specific places where these are wrong?

   Section 2.3
   - the abbreviations mentioned here should already be mentioned in the
     introduction, because they are used throughout the documents

This would disrupt the flow of the text. Instead, the few uses of compact IRIs
that precede their definition were simply expanded to eliminate the issue.

    Section 7
    - it should be explained what is meant with a baseline module and a
      skyline module and what the rationale is for splitting the schema into
      these two modules

There are now some explanations about it. Basically, this makes it easier
for Harold to maintain the schema in a more modular way.

    Section 7.2
    - the schema should refer to the baseline schema by URI, and not local
      filename

This also has to do with the way the schema is maintained. But it is
acceptable to use a relative URL, since both XML schemas are online
at the same site.

Harold & Michael