Re: [PRD] Issues to resolve before publication (NAU)

Christian de Sainte Marie wrote:
> Mark Proctor wrote:
>>>
>>> I was aware only of CLIPS. You mention Jess as well. Ok. That is
>>> already more than I thought. Let us continue the discussion along
>>> that line.
>>
>> This is related to "named" arguments on patterns? i..e. a pattern for
>> (person (name "mark") (age 32) )
>> "including named-arguments atoms in PRD will force all the languages
>> that do not have them to implement the feature,"
>>
>> Which PR system doesn't support this? ilog does, drools does, clips
>> does, jess does, opsj/fic does ?
>
> I am not aware that ILOG supports the kind of "slotted relations" BLD
> does, that we call NAUs: what construct do you have in mind,
> specifically?
I was just referring to this:
http://www.ilog.com/products/jrules/documentation/jrules67/rsrules/rs_rul_techrule3.html

Fish(color==yellow; type==angel);

Which in Clips terms would be:
(fish (color yellow) (type angel) )

In all PR systems including JRules, the ?x for both pattern and field
bindings is optional.

>> I'm am heavily against the push to forcing bindings of patterns so
>> that we have to do
>> $p : Person()
>> eval( $p.name == "mark", $p.age == 32)
>
> Do you mean that you do not want to bind an explicit variable? Like in:
> If exists Person(name=="mark", age==32)
> then Print("There is at least one 32 years old named Mark")
>
> If yes, that is more like anonymous frames than NAU (but I must admit
> that I never quite understood what NAU really are); and, indeed, ILOG
> supports that.
Yes I think we need to clarify the difference between NAUs and anonymous
frames and how bindings are optional for patterns. I'm certainly
confused :) I'm probably not getting what slotted relations are, Dave
seem to hit a pointwhere "slotted relations" must list ALL slots in the
definition, where as patterns are a subset of available slots, thus more
anonymous (optional named binding) frames.

--
JBoss, a Division of Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire,