Re: [PRD] Issues to resolve before publication (Execute)

Gary Hallmark wrote:

> No, the definition of "external" is that its semantics is fixed and
> independent of any rules that call it.  So if I send you a ruleset with
> a reference to pred:numeric-equal in it, you know the semantics thanks
> to DTB.  But if I send you a ruleset with a reference to
> gary:secret-function in it, you have no idea.

Yes, unless we share the specification of gary:secret-function out of
band (like for the pred: and fun: externals, the spec of which is shared
in the out-of-band DTB document).

If we want PRD to be used to interchange existing rules (yes: legacy),
we need this kind of externals (I mean: application/user-specific).

If we want them, they can only be dealt with as balckboxes, as far as I
can think: their semantics will thus be the same as what is in the
current draft, in one form or another.

Which is why I thought that it made sense to include Execute.

But I may be wrong, of course: I have been enlightened yet, as you all
know :-)

Cheers,

Christian