Re: RIF Core, and how much is PRD allowed to diverge from BLD [Was: Re: [PRD] Issues to resolve before publication]

Boley, Harold wrote:
> Production Rule languages such as the widely used CLIPS
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLIPS) employ predicates
> like car_problem with named arguments.

I wasn't talking about named arguments in general but the specific case
of "named argument uniterms with the semantics as defined in BLD" which
is what I took the term "NAU" to stand for.

> CLIPS (Wikipedia rule1 is a "pure production rule"):
>
> (deffacts trouble_shooting
>     (car_problem (name ignition_key) (status on))
>     (car_problem (name engine) (status wont_start))
>     (car_problem (name headlights) (status work))
>  )

In CLIPS those are "unordered facts" (or deftemplate facts) and I
believe you can partially match against them. For example you could also
have a rule:

(defrule rule1
     (car_problem (status wont_start))
      =>
     (assert (car_problem (name suspectedStarter))
  )

and it would still match those facts even though some arguments are missing.

Thus I believe the CLIPS representation corresponds to more closely
frames in RIF not to NAUs. I would certainly include Frames in core.

My knowledge of CLIPS only comes from checking the online manuals not
from deep experience so I would be prepared to corrected on this.

Dave