Re: named-argument uniterms [was: regrets telecon on Tuesday]

Boley, Harold wrote:
> Here are some use cases for named-argument uniterms
> (slotted atoms and expressions):
>
> RACOFI: A Rule-Applying Collaborative Filtering System
> <http://www.daniel-lemire.com/fr/documents/publications/racofi_nrc.pdf>
> (A. RACOFI Rule Listing)

I don't think so. The rules seem to use an object-like representation
and different patterns match on different subsets of the slots. For
example the "product" predicate is used with the following pairs of slot
names:
    itemID, lyrics
    itemID, music
    itemID, impression
    itemID, performance
    itemID, originality
    itemID, price
etc, in different rules.

Named argument uniterms can't be used here without explicitly matching
on all of the product attributes and discarding the unwanted ones
whereas this does seem like a clear use case for the frame-notation.

> NBBizKB: The New Brunswick Business Knowledge Base
> <http://www.ruleml.org/usecases/nbbizkb>
> <http://www.ruleml.org/usecases/nbbizkb/NBBizKBRules.posl>
>
> FindXpRT: Find an eXpert via Rules and Taxonomies
> <http://www.ruleml.org/usecases/foaf/findxprt>
> <http://www.ruleml.org/usecases/foaf/findxprt/FindXpRT.posl>

These seem to be both OOjDrew examples, you've already noted that
OOjDrew uses named-argument uniterms.

[All the rules I looked at in the second one seem to be conveniently
expressible in frame notation but I'm happy to take your word for it
that there are usages of named uniterms in there.]

> eTourPlan: A Knowledge-Based Route and Activity Planner for eTourism
> <http://v37s3b4h7dn47s37hg1br4h7rs7n3du7s8nu.unbf.ca/~s7kw0/>
> <http://v37s3b4h7dn47s37hg1br4h7rs7n3du7s8nu.unbf.ca/~s7kw0/master/lates
> tTravelPlan(15.11.07).posl>

I don't properly understand the notation but again rules like "getName"
and "getCapitalDistance" seem to matching on only a subset of the slots
in the "et.place" predicate and look like frame examples again. Which
are the specific rules and predicates in there for which slotted
uniterms are required?

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England