Re: ISSUE-43 ISSUE 41 - Proposed resolution for membership and classification

These proposals do not address my concerns [2], but if the working group
really insists on having the constructs I will not object, but rather
abstain.

I would proposed, though, to rephrase the proposed resolutions as
follows to make sure they make some technical sense [the proposed typing
and subclass statements in RIF are language constructs and not constant
symbols]:

Proposed: Close Issue-43 by including in BLD subclass formulae of the
form a ## b.  In the RDF compatibility document,
## and rdfs:subClassOf will be connected appropriately, i.e. whenever a
## b holds, a rdfs:subClassOf b is required to hold.

Proposed: Close Issue-41 by including in BLD membership formulae of the
form c # a.  In the RDF compatibility document, # and rdf:type will be
connected appropriately, i.e. a # b holds iff a rdf:type b holds.

I would also like to see a resolution which says that we do not include
membership and subclassing in Core, as proposed by Michael in [1].

Best, Jos

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2007Dec/0062.html

[2] doubts about the usefulness of the constructs; yet another ontology
modeling language for the semantic Web

--
Jos de Bruijn            debruijn@inf.unibz.it
+390471016224         http://www.debruijn.net/