Re: RIF WG Planning for 2009

Michael,

I agree with everything you write below.  I am concerned that without an
LP dialect, the practical utility of the RIF will be severely limited.

Leora

Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Sent by: public-rif-wg-request@w3.org
12/16/2008 03:55 PM
Please respond to
kifer

Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>
cc
"Public-Rif-Wg (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>
Subject
Re: RIF WG Planning for 2009

This is all good, except that there is a clear interest and need in
defining an
LP dialect. This dialect was marked as a "maybe" in the request for an
extension.

Our own use cases, the negative guards controversy, and implications from
some
of the public comments on BLD all point in the direction of a strong
demand for
such a dialect.

michael

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:17:44 -0500
Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the June F2F we agreed on an extension plan:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/Extension_Request_2008
>
> I think we are pretty close to "on track" with this plan, though
realistically
> we can probably expect to get as far as CR by the end of the extension
period
> (May 30, 2009), not all the way to Rec, with our current drafts (UCR,
Core, BLD,
> FLD, RDF+OWL, DTB, PRD, Test, rdf:Text).  The group is progressing,
though we
> are all feeling the resources being stretched to their limit.
>
> Here's what we're expecting 2009 to shape up to:
>
> 1) Continue working on the RIF drafts.  Bring them all to LC in March
and to CR
> in May.
>
> 2) Two more F2F meetings - F2F12 (Portland) & F2F13 (Europe?), with
F2F13 being
> sometime around April.
>
> 3) We would not take on any new work, simply finish the existing drafts.
>
> 4) Assuming we make at least LC by the end of the current extension, we
would
> request a further WG extension to shepherd the drafts through CR and PR.
 This