Re: safety and external predicates

Jos de Bruijn wrote:
> <snip/>
>
>> From our point of view I see no reason to demand decidability. It is
>> possible to write non-terminating rulesets in Jena through recursive
>> calls to externs or through instance creation (c.f. Gary's thread on
>> frame axioms). As Chris says, we would treat that as the rule-author's
>> problem :-) A static checker that detected problematic rulesets might be
>> a useful development aid but in practice I haven't seen many people have
>> problems detecting such problems and fixing them in their rules.
>
> Checking whether a rule set is "problematic" is often undecidable :-)

Quite.

>> One way of looking at this is as a conformance issue.
>>
>> My inclination would be to define conformance with CORE just in terms of
>> ground entailments over rulesets for which those are finite. That way
>> both simple production rule implementations and simple LP rule
>> implementations can be conformant.
>
> I'm not sure whether I understand the criterion you are proposing.

It's not a proposal yet, just exploring a direction.

> Which things are "finite"?

The set of ground entailments.

> if you're thinking of a criterion like "requires a finite number of
> steps in the computation", I'm afraid this is not going to work.
> Checking whether you need a finite number of steps is in general
> undecidable (boils down to the halting problem).

Agreed.

>> For a ruleset with unbounded ground entailments a conformant
>> implementation would be free to reject it as a result of static safety
>> checking, raise a run time error, compute some finite subset or loop
>> indefinitely.
>
> So, you propose conformance with respect to a syntactical restriction?

I'm suggesting that Document Conformance should be unrestricted. That
Core be undecideable and that rulesets which might not terminate under
some execution strategies would be legal Core rulesets.  That a
Conformant Producer should be free to emit such rulesets (so long as the
semantics of the original ruleset is preserved, as normal).

But that we allow a Consumer to be conformant even if it only preserves
semantics of some subset of legal rulesets so that it is possible for a
range of existing PR and LP engines to be conformant consumers even
though some legal RIF Core rulesets would, for example, lead to
non-termination with a forward execution strategy. If preferred we could
call this "minimally conformant", a term used in other W3C specs.

The question is how to define that subset.

It was thinking (perhaps incorrectly) that the notion of a Core rule set
having a finite set of ground entailments is a well defined(definable)
one, even though there can be no algorithm for detecting that. So that
could be the basis for a conformance statement.

Alternatively we could pick a syntactic safety constraint as you and
Axel have proposed. However, under this scheme we would be using that
safety constraint only to limit conformance, not to constrain the
language - there would be no requirement for a translator (producer or
consumer) to implement that safety check and explicitly detect unsafe
rulesets.

Does that make sense at least?

Dave