Re: safety and external predicates

It seems to me that if we want to have a notion of safeness in Core, we
would want something like "domain-safeness" as described in [2] (page 281).
Essentially, it ensures that there is no recursion involving variables
that do not occur in user-defined predicates in the body.  This ensures
finiteness.

So, it would not be possible to write:
p(x) :- p(y), External(add(y,1,x))
p(1)
(which is the example Axel gave in the telephone conference today, and
which leads to an infinite extension of P)

But it would be possible to write:
q(x) :- p(y), External(add(y,1,x))
p(1)
because there is no recursive dependency between q and any of the body
predicates

Best, Jos

--
Jos de Bruijn            debruijn@inf.unibz.it