spec of multi-sorted Core should include the ASN productions

Gary Hallmark <gary.hallmark@oracle.com> writes:
> 1. obtain an XML Schema document for multi-sorted RIF Core
> It is reasonably straightforward to generate (1) from the ASN in the
> Core spec, although the Schema isn't uniquely determinable from the ASN
> (possibility of stripe skipping, etc), which is a big problem for
> interoperability.

Right -- the mapping from asn to xml-schema is something we haven't
decided on yet, but I think the plan is to have that settled for WD2.
Clearly, we need that soon, so people can start to implement.

Have you thought about all the individual decisions that make up this
mapping?   I haven't yet tried to enumerate them.  I could use some help
with that.

   Stripe Skipping?    yes/no
   Where do string values go?    attribute/element

Should we try to enumerate them, or should I just go ahead and propose a
strawman?

> Unfortunately, the ASN in the Core spec does not include support for
> multiple sorts.  The "sorting" is kind of "added on" toward the end of
> the spec, and the ASN is never completely revealed.  I think it's pretty
> easy to guess about the primitive sorts from the examples, but the arrow
> sorts and boolean sorts really need to have ASN.

As I understand the RIF Core document, the full abstract syntax is
maintained as an attachment to
   http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/Core/Specification
although it might be better to just have it as a page.   (There are some
tradeoffs about formatting/tool access.)

I agree sorts don't show up there.  I don't personally understand how it
should.   Harold?   Michael?

      -- Sandro