Re: Issue-31: Disjoint sorts - sketch of test case

Paul Vincent wrote:
> Thanks Dave: on the last point I would assume the translator from a
> language (using sort A) L1A to RIF would choose the same sort as used in
> L1A: i.e. they would translate L1A to RIF(A).

[A terminology nitpick but I think you mean something like "style A"
rather than "sort A". We are exploring three different styles of
identifier aliasing, and whether some of our sorts are disjoint or not.]

If we allow all of these styles via some semantic annotation then it's
true that when translating to RIF a translator *could* simply pick it's
native style, but I'm not sure it would be wise to do so.

In particular, if I have a language with the more complex style OS (the
same thing can be both, say, a predicate and an individual constant)
then I'd know that a lot of the people who might use my rules can't
easily cope with that so I might be inclined to try to convert to one of
the simpler styles anyway to improve interoperation.

> Only the consumer would
> have the problem of changing sort, if needbe, for example to a language
> (using sort B) L2B. Whether they would do this via RIF(B) is a different
> question...
>
> Whether a single sort is chosen for RIF or not, someone has to translate
> sorts, and it would be better if such translations were optional IMHO...

Given that for any language we need to translate both to and from RIF,
and given that different languages have different styles then it can't
be optional for everyone.

The closest we could come is that if RIF adopted one of the simpler
styles DS/ONDS then only people with the complex style OS would need to
worry. Which would be reasonable if the OS style is a minority, or at
least if the rulesets which truly exploit the style are relatively rare.

Seems to me like a general guideline: we need RIF to be rich enough (to
easily translate our rules into) but no richer (to avoid problems
translating back from RIF).

Hewlett-Packard Limited