Re: Glossary entry: Abstract syntax

Gerd, All,

Regarding the general issue of meta-models being or not being abstract
syntaxes: I wonder if the problem is not, really, with MOF/UML (and,
thus, MOF/UML meta-model), rather than with abstract syntax VS meta-model.

The point is that a large part of the WG participants are not familiar
or comfortable with MOF/UML meta-models and that, as a consequence, we
decided that we would not use a MOF/UML meta-model as the support for
our discussions wrt the abstract syntax of RIF Core.

That does not mean that, once we agree, in the WG, on an abstract syntax
for RIF Core, it will not be useful to specify the corresponding MOF/UML
metamodel: actually, it would be really good to have that activity
within OMG, and to keep it in synch with the RIF activity in W3C.

But the point of the resolution is that the discussion of details and
specificities of MOF/UML meta-modeling should not slow the progress and
RIF, when they are not specifically relevant to RIF

Regarding vocabularies, Gerd Wagner wrote:

> Basically, yes, a vocabulary is a more explicit form of what is also
> called a "signature" in predicate logic:
> it defines the symbols for individuals, functions and predicates
> (pre-defined/built-in and user-defined).

That's what I tried calling an externally-defined or an
application-specific or an extra-logical vocabulary or ... and got only
empty glares in return.

At last, some support from academia!

Chris Welty wrote:
> This is Christian's favorite topic...