Re: Datasets, blackboxes and frames

Michael Kifer wrote:
> Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:
>> In particular, I would find it useful to be able to map SPARQL-style
>> named graph expressions into RIF - e.g. in order to represent CWM rules
>> and because that something we need for our own use cases (which may
>> affect how JenaRules evolves).
>
> SPARQL's named graphs is a hack,

Sparql is a candidate recommendation from the W3C.  If you find
something wrong with it, there are open channels (not academic
publications) in which you can state any objection.

If you think there are problems with it that are relevant to RIF,
please state them.  Stating that it is "a hack" doesn't help at all.

 > which has clean logical counterpart. It is
> called scoped inference. It was described in several places, such as
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/f511460n0v3hl61n/
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/1kcf7e0eu32kycxr/

If you wish people in the group to read it, please provide a link to a
version we can access.  These links require paying a fee.

Anyway, I think we agree *something like this* would be useful.

-Chris