Re: Reminder: pending discussion "membership" (pending discussion on ACTION-350)

Paul Vincent wrote:
>> Using your data modelling language of choice. In the case of the
>> Semantic Web stack, of which RIF is a part, the answer is RDFS/OWL.
>
> Semantics schemantics. RIF includes non sem web requirements/features
> etc, so it at best is a "shared part" of the Sem Web stack. IMHO. :)

You took my quote out of context. My point was there are different
stacks RIF might want to work with each of which already has their own
way of handling these things.

At previous F2F we've agreed that the two important stacks it needs to
work with are semweb and XML.

The sentence you quoted was saying "*if* you are working in semweb then
...". Likewise the next one was saying "*if* you are working in XML
Schema then ...".

>> I am convinced that including these primitives moves RIF from the
> domain
>> of rule interchange into that of data model interchange. Had that been
>> explicitly part of the RIF charter I am not certain we would have
>> approved the formation of RIF.
>
> Funny I originally drafted a similar point in my other response, on the
> premise that Michael used the term "knowledgebase" instead of rulebase,
> and that a Knowledge Interchange Format should be considered an
> extension to RIF, if a KIF is desired.
>
> But, pragmatically, quite often rulebases (eg in PR) include things like
> local variable definitions, and sometimes even local subclass
> definitions, to simplify rule language expressions when the domain
> schema is "fixed" and needs "extending" in the rule system. So I have
> some sympathy for Michael's position.

Sounds like you have a use case to share! Christian has previously said
this would be very unusual in PR applications.

> 1. For the RIF use cases, we would typically want (for PR) an XML doc +
> schema to form the factbase.

Exactly. So how are subclass relations supposed to be connected to XML
Schema?

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England