Re: [RIFRAF] ACTION 173: Initial Ontology for Action Language Discriminators

Leora Morgenstern wrote:

> [...]
> Ruleset
>  > > Integration for Medical Decision Support, one reasons about various
>  > > medical events, such as Bob’s Hb1AC levels increasing, the
> doctor
>  > > prescribing various medications, Bob’s reactions to them,
> and Bob’s
>  > > taking a medical test.) ECA rules, which are much narrower in
> scope, can
>  > > be considered a subset of general action rules.
>  > >
>  > > Examples of such general AI action languages include the situation
>  > > calculus, the event calculus, the fluent calculus, temporal action
>  > > logics, and  the action description languages \cal{A}, and \cal{C}
>  > >
>  > > 3. These languages share certain features, but differ on other
> features.
>  > > A list of features of interest follows:
>  > >
>  > > a. Division into sets of sentences: domain description, observation
>  > > sentences, queries. /(It is almost universally accepted to have at the
>  > > first two classes of sentences in action languages.)/
>  > > b. Intervals vs. time points. vs. both /(E.g., the event calculus has
>  > > both time points and intervals; sitcalc has situations/time points,
>  > > \cal{A} has time points.)/
>  > > c. Discrete time vs. continuous time /(Situation calculus: discrete
>  > > time; fluent calculus,  event calculus: continuous time)/
>  > > d. Branching time vs. linear time; branching forward only vs.
> branching
>  > > both forward and backward /(Event calculus: linear time; situation
>  > > calculus: forward branching time.)/
>  > > e. Causation as an explicit relation vs. concept explicit in rule
> and/or
>  > > material implication. /(Explicit in \cal{C}; implicit in temporal
> action
>  > > logics, EC, SC.)/
>  > > f. Causal rules; state constraints
>  > > g. Concurrency: concurrency disallowed; concurrent processes allowed,
>  > > but can’t have them starting at exactly the same time
>  > > (asynchronicity).  /(Fluent calculus, event calculus: concurrency
>  > > allowed; vanilla sitcalc; only one action at a time; extended
>  > > (Reiter-style) situation calculus: asynchronicity.)/
>  > > h. Explicit agent vs. implicit agent
>  > > i. Single agent vs. multiple agent
>  > > j. Determinism vs. non-determinism
>  > > k. Solving the frame problem: monotonic solutions (explanation closure
>  > > axioms; Reiter) vs. nonmonotonic solutions (using circumscription, or
>  > > answer-set semantics, e.g. together with an appropriate formulation of
>  > > the commonsense law of inertia)
>  >
>  > Note that a further distinction in the action languages you mention, is
>  > that interia is not always implicit.
>
> Could you let me know what "interia" is? I googled, but that didn't help.

basically frame axioms, ie that atoms (also called fluents in these
languages) keep there value if not affected by any action over a state
change. Intertia can be defined "per fluent" in some of these languages...

>  >As far as I remember, it is in
>  > \cal{A}, but not in \cal{C} (or the related language \cal{K} which we
>  > developed in Vienna during my thesis...)
>  >
>  > In that context, it would maybe also, even be worthwhile to look into
>  > planning languages like PDDL.
>  >   The PDDL work might by itself be interesting, since it is also kind of
>  > a family of languages around a common core, where features can be
>  > added/left out, maybe providing some inspiration for the extension
>  > mechanism for dialects...
>  >
>  > Axel
>
> Axel, I think it would be very interesting to look at PDDL --- I agree
> that the way
> it has been developed, over time, from a common core, could be a model
> for how we develop methods for RIF's handling of different dialects
> (down the road).
>
> I will also look at \cal{K} --- thanks for the reference!
>
> In the meantime, however, as Chris and Sandro pointed out yesterday, I need
> to refocus this work on RIF's short-term goals and the RIF Core. This means
> less focus, at least in the short term, on many of the distinctions that
> I've thus far put in the ontology, which are model-based and/or based on
> the method of inference.

fair enough.

best,
axel