Re: [Admin] Agenda for RIF telecon 17 April

Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Chris Welty wrote:
>> We have not proposed avoiding IRIs, we are considering whether the
>> spec should "require" them, in a sense, or make them an alternative. I
>> see the choices as having "URI or IRI" in the spec vs. just "IRI".
>
> Having both really would be confusing IMHO.

In some sense, the way to have both is to specify IRI.

End users (mainly in the US and the UK) who have no need of the features
of IRIs, can use URIs (which are IRIs). People who want to use an IRI
that isn't a URI can also use that.

It certainly is never a requirement of a specification that uses IRIs
that documents must include funny characters.

Jeremy

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England