Re: [RIF] Welcome to RIF

Dear Chris Welty and all RIF participants,

Find below a brief introduction of myself:

-- Role: Alternate (principal is  REWERSE)

-- Short Bio:
I studied Mathematics at the University of Craiova, Romania where I
finished in 1989. From 1990 until 2005 I worked as a research assistant,
assistant and lecturer at the University of Craiova, Faculty of
Mathematics and Computer Science as a member of  Dept. of Computer
Science. During this time I also act as an independent consultant for a
number of small-size companies. From 1996 to 2003 I was enrolled in the
PhD program of University of Bucharest. I received my PhD in mathematics
on the topic of  reasoning under uncertainty in October  2003. During my
university activities I was involved both in teaching (various lectures
including: logic programming, natural language processing, Java
programming, UML analysis and design, software engineering) and research
(knowledge representation, uncertainty). I am currently working as a
postdoctoral researcher at the Chair of Internet Technology from
Brandenburg Technical University at Cottbus (Germany). My duties include
both teaching activities (XML technologies, Semantic Web technologies,
Web applications, logic for information systems) and research activities
(as a member of  REWERSE Rule Markup WG <http://www.rewerse.net/I1>).
Together with Gerd Wagner we designed (using MOF) and implemented (using
XML Schema) the Rewerse I1 Rule Markup Language (R2ML), an XML-based
rule language which tries to follow the RIF requirements. From Sept.
2005 I'm member of FuzzyRuleML <http://image.ntua.gr/FuzzyRuleML/> WG
where the activity focus on extensions of RuleML to deal with
uncertainty knowledge.

-- Contact Info:
Dr. Adrian Giurca <http://www.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/%7Eagiurca/>

-- what I expect to get out of this WG:
RIF rules will be compatible with all major Semantic Web technologies.
RIF rules will be built in top of vocabularies (including RDFS, OWL, UML).
RIF rules will will have a rich XML syntax and an understandable semantics.
RIF rules will allow interchanging of almost all main rule languages
(both academic and industrial) on the market.
RIF rules will play a major role in knowledge representation and
reasoning on the Web.
RIF standard will increase the integration of rules inside of
"classical"  information systems.

-- what I hope/expect to contribute:
To identify various needs for RIF according with its charter and UCR.
To check RIF compatibility with existent rule languages in different
development stages.
To provide prototype implementations in Phase 2.

Best regards,
Adrian