Re: [RIF] homework for 10/17 telecon

Michael Kifer wrote:

>>> No, this is the first step in adding sorts.
>> No, surely it's the first step in webizing[*] a language.
>>
>> Dave
>
> You can put it this way, but IRIs and other data types are nicely
> formalized as sorts. So, this is the most natural way to approach these
> issues (incl. webizing). I thought it was clear, but if not I hope that
> this discussion clears things up.

No sorry, it doesn't. This seems to confuse IRI's in the sense of
datatypes (i.e. things like RDF Resources and xsd:anyURI, which would
fit with the phrase "other data types") with the question of the syntax
of the language.

I could be expressing rules that have absolutely nothing to do with web
URLs, RDF or any of that junk but I still want my symbols to have some
universal naming scheme. So that when someone takes two rule sets from
different locations they have some means to notice that
functions/relations/constants referenced in those rulesets are supposed
to be the same.

To me that is a syntax issue unrelated to datatypes.