Re: [RIF] homework for 10/17 telecon

Michael Kifer wrote:
>> However, it was the example itself which left me with the (apparently
>> mis-)understanding that this was still work in progress since the
>> terminals in there don't meet our needs. For example, we require that
>> functions and relations be identifiable with URIs - I see no URIs,
>> qnames or curis in that example. We need typed literals of some form and
>> whilst there has been some discussion on that as a result of DanC's
>> questions I see nothing those pages that suggests what the final
>> proposed approach is. That example includes a constant "$49" which I
>> have assuming is a place holder for some structured value mean to be a
>> integer with an associated currency tag. The variables will need meet
>> W3C i18n standards and I see no part of that sketch which explains the
>> i18n approach.
>
> Yes, you are right. The original syntax had IRIs, but several weeks ago
> there was a decision at a telecon to first specify an unsorted logic.

Sorry to be confused but even if the relations and functions are
unsorted the literal values still need types don't they?

In any case we need IRIs for the relation and function symbols
irrespective of sorting.

> Data types (IRIs being one of them) will be later introduced as sorts.
>
> You should realize that this is just a first step. There are many more
> details to be worked out, such as builtins, data types, etc.

Entirely reasonable and that's what I understood. Which is why I was so
surprised to find there is a vote whether to accept it or not tomorrow.