Re: RIF must cover RDF triples as data

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 17:04 +0200, Axel Polleres wrote:
> Dan Connolly wrote:
[...]
> >>In what *context* is the inferred triple true? What is the context of
> >>the body triples what is the context of head triples here?
> >

> > Hmm... I don't understand this question. I don't see "context"
> > in [1]. Could you perhaps phrase the question some other way?
>
> I belief that there should be a context...
>
> what I mean is:
> The result graph of a SPARQL CONSTRUCT graph and the original dataset
> are clearly separate, since the CONSTRUCTed triples hold in the result
> graph, not in the dataset, however, in the rule:
>
>   holds(rdfs:subPropertyOf, ?p, ?q) /\ holds(?p, ?s ?o)
>        => holds(?q, ?s ?o)
>
> there is no such separation, if I'd see this rule together with some rdf
> triples in the same document/data(+rule)set, I'd assume that the
> inferred triples also "belong" to the same document/context.

Yes, I suppose so. I think the notion of context is a bit of a
distraction, though. I'm just talking about whether one set
of formulas entails another.

Let's see... entailment is discussed only indirectly so far;
the "Interpretation and Models of Rules" section specifies
satisfaction
 http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/B.1_Horn_Rules

I assume the usual relationship between satisfaction
and entailment applies, i.e. F entails G iff every
interpretation that satisfies F also satisfies G.

I see that my original message assumes familiarity
with the term "entailment test"; sorry about that.
What I meant is a la...

3.2. Entailment Tests
These tests use two documents. One is named premisesNNN.rdf, the other
is named conclusionsNNN.rdf. The conclusions are entailed by the
premises. Such entailment is defined by the OWL semantics [OWL Semantics
and Abstract Syntax], (see also OWL Full entailment).

http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/#testEntailment

The sketch I gave used more than one premise document. I hope
it's clear how that works.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E