Re: [UCR] alternative Use case publication

Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Axel Polleres wrote:
>
>> I just added an alternative use case concerning "publication" on the
>> Wiki:
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wg/wiki/UCR/PublicationAlternative
>>
>>  It shall empasize the use of RIF for defining implicit metatdata and
>> linking metadata from differen sources by rules.
>

> Now that the f2f2 minutes have been published I can see that this [1] is
> supposed to be a replacement for the vanished use case on Publication.
>
> On the one hand this does seem to be a perfectly good use case and I'd
> be happy to see some improved [*] version of it in the second UCR draft.
>
> On the other hand I don't think it is a complete replacement. The
> essence of the original publication use case [2] was the additional
> requirement for a human legible syntax that could be used to enable
> publication of rules for human developers. That was put up as a strawman
> to encourage us to explicitly consider whether a legible syntax
> (alongside the main XML or RDF syntax) should be within scope. Axel's
> new use case has no such requirement. The alleged requirement for human
> legibility is not quite the same as the human orientedness called for in
> UC 2.5.
>
> Dave
>
> [*] Some comments towards such a tidy up:
> - if those data examples are to be included they should be RDF
> - the movie/sciFiMovie rule would be better expressed using rdfs:subClassOf
> - either delete or rephrase the value-judgement-full statement:
> [[[
> Recursive dependencies among the interlinked rulesets greatly extend and
> generalize the simple one-way RDF data access via SPARQL.
> ]]]
> Sparql can explicitly query multiple datasets and can implement the
> alternativeimdb examples.

I don't see how you can express recursive (closure) queries in  SPARQL.
That was mainly what I meant to say here. SPARQL is meant to query fact
bases and not interlinked rule bases with intensional, linked and
possibly recursive view definitions. I assume this is also what you
meant to express with [2].

  Do you have a concrete suggestion how to rephrase this or is it a rule
with such closure definition that you miss here and would you have a
suggestion for that?

thanks,
axel

--