Re: On production rules and phase I&II

From: Frank McCabe <frank.mccabe@us.fujitsu.com>
Subject: On production rules and phase I&II
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:56:37 -0800

> Part of the proposed plan is to partition the handling of production
> rules across the phases, with phase I being the 'pure' subset of
> production rules.
>
> The pure subset corresponding to an extremely small subset of horn
> clause logic (no recursion!) and an extremely small subset of PR (no
> modify or remove in the action part of the rule)

I don't understand where the "no recursion" comes from here.  Could you perhaps
point to evidence that recursion is not going to be part of phase I?

> Quite apart from the fact that that to isolate this small subset of
> PRs is to completely miss the point & approach of PRs, there is a
> further technical issue.
>
> It is possible to map a rule of the form
>
> when A & B then assert C
>
> into a 'horn clause' of the form
>
> isTrue(C) <- A ^ B

Well, maybe, but wouldn't it be much better to just map it into

	C <- A ^ B

> A point to bear in mind: to support chaining, it will be nec. to
> conclude from
>
> isTrue(C)

> This appears to imply a Kripke-style possible world semantics.

Why?  Even if one was to utilize isTrue, then why would isTrue just be a truth
predicate, which does not require a Kripke-style semantics.

[ Some interesting issues having to do with retraction removed. ]

> Frank

Peter F. Patel-Schneider