Re: exchanging OWL through RIF

On 3 Mar 2006, at 16:49, Jim Hendler wrote:

> Paul - there's a lot more to this, and some of it is in the
> vocabulary -- let me start simple - in this case when I say "OWL" I
> don't mean the theoretical content of some ontology, I mean a
> document somewhere on the Web which contains RDF/OWL description -
> for example, if you point your browser at www.mindswap.org/2003/
> CancerOntology/nciOncology.owl (be careful, it is big) then you
> would see a particvular version of this ontology (the definitive
> version lives in NIH space and I don't have the link at the moment,
> it's considerably bigger than this 25M one).
>
>  Enter RIF (phase 2) - we want to take the stuff in that NCI
> ontology, take that document to our cancer research center, and
> check to see whether the data gathered in our datatbase corresponds
> to the expectations of the OWL model.  So, for example, if we see
> that an ONCOGENE is defined as any GENE which is ASSOCIATED with a
> DISEASE that is of type CANCER - we could go to the database and
> pull out all the things that are ONCOGENEs by this definition,
> This couldn't be done by OWL itself - it's a variant  of the famous
> "uncle" thing- essentially we need a chaining rule in here (from
> Gene to disease and disease to cancer)

I am sorry, but I have to disagree: this is easily possible in OWL
itself: simple retrieve all instances of ONCOGENEs: any DL reasoner
(eg Pellet) will retrieve exactly all instances of oncogene, whether
they have been declared as such or whether they are genes that are
associated with a disease of type cancer....

Cheers, Uli