Re: [UCR] Creating Pages for Abstracted Use Cases

If I might push back on this suggestion a little ...

It seems to me that an abstraction/categorization of use cases is not
itself a use case.

I am working on the following pattern at the moment:

<snip>
#pragma section-numbers on

== Abstract ==

Information integration uses cases focus on the merging of multiple
sources of information to present a unified view to the user.
Integrating information often involves merging information with
different semantic sources (databases versus readings from physical
devices versus accessing content in the form of web pages, knowledge
bases), different syntactic forms (RDF, OWL, HTML, raw data streams)
and across different ownership domains.

== Uses case examples ==

The uses cases that come into this general category are:

* ["Automatically generated rules"]
* ["Frame-based representation, Inheritance of defaults, Reification"]
* ["Information Integration with Rules and Taxonomies"]
* ["Internet search: combining query language, rule languages and
scoped negation"]
* ["Managing incomplete information"]
* ["Ontology Mapping with OWL and Rules"]
* ["Organizing a Vacation with Friends"]
* ["Rule-Based Combined Access to XML and RDF Data"]
* ["Rule-Based Intelligent Guiding"]
* ["Rule-Based Reactive Organizer"]
* ["Scoped negation, Encapsulation"]
* ["Situation Assessment and Adaptation"]
* ["SW rules for Health Care and Life Sciences"]

== Common themes ==

* Multiple sources of information
* Different semantics of rule languages
* Combining information with different semantics
* Different ownership domains

== Requirements arising ==
* Scoping of negation and other inference
* Multiple theories and logics
* Compatibility with legacy information

== Role of rule interchange ==
* A RIF can serve as an inter-lingua and anchor point between the
different sources of information

== Commentary ==

Information integration is one of the oldest uses of knowledge bases
systems. It is no surprise that there are many use cases for a RIF
that exemplify this. Some particular aspects that become important
with a RIF are the ability to handle information whose semantic basis
is itself heterogeneous (for example, an LP-based system has
information that needs to be combined with an OWL-based system and a
'raw' XML-based system) and also an ability to be able to freely
combine information across ownership domains (i.e., combining
information belonging to more than one party).

This has implications for the kinds of inference needed and for the
kinds of scoping (such as in negation) needed. This is over and above
normal engineering requirements arising from combining information in
a variety of syntactic forms.
</snip>

Frank