Re: Request for RIF assistance from GeoSPARQL SWG

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response points. We will investigate validation with RIF4J
if and only if we make further use of RIF than just this one document and
the corresponding one for GeoSPARQL 1.1 we will surely produce.

Regarding the Media Type "application/rif+xml": I make take it upon myself
to register this, if we make wider use of RIF.

Regarding your assertion that the Media Type for Presentation Syntax
documents is "Probably rifps+xml", as in "application/rifps+xml", well it
can't be since the Presentation Syntax is clearly not XML! It would perhaps
have to be "text/rifps" or similar. If I take on the above, I make take on
this one too.

Regards,

Nick

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 7:38 PM Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.stonybrook.edu>
wrote:

> Thanks for your email. Some answers within. Hope somebody else can fill in
> the gaps in my answers.
>

> On 1/3/21 9:51 PM, Nicholas Car wrote:
>
> Dear RIF Dev Mailing list,
>
> We, the GeoSPARQL Standards Working Group, are updating the OGC's
> GeoSPARQL specification, first published in 2012 which we refer to as
> GeoSPARQL 1.0. We wish to better present the specification in
> machine-readable form and to update it producing GeoSPARQL 1.1.
>
> GeoSPARQL 1.0 includes a template for a set of RIF rules [1]. We would
> like to expand this template to produce a RIF artifact that can be included
> in the set of GeoSPARQL 1.0 resources. We will also produce a GeoSPARQL 1.1
> RIF artifact within the next few months.
>
> Please could you assist us with the following points:
>
> 1. Validity of our 1.0 RIF document
>     a. We have not been able to find any operating RIF validators listed
> by the RIF WG [2] other than perhaps RIF4J [3]. Can you indicate others, in
> particular, any that are online?
>

> It seems that RIF4J is the only validator that is still available.
>

>     b. Have any multi-format RIF validators been produced, specifically
> for XML and Presentation Syntax?
>

> See above.
>

> 2. Presentation of our 1.0 RIF document
>     a. The Media Type "application/rif+xml" is indicated for use for RIF
> documents [4] but it is not registered with IANA's Media Types list [5].
> Can you clarify the status of the RIF Media Type?
>

> This was the intent. The working group chairs were supposed to see to it
> that the media types are registered, but apparently didn't.
>

>     b. Assuming a RIF document in XML is to use the Media Type
> "application/rif+xml" and the file extension ".rif", what should a
> Presentation Syntax document use? Should it use ".rifps" for the file
> extension, as per WG examples like [6] but then what Media Type?
>

> Probably rifps+xml. Again, somebody was supposed to do it, but dropped
> this task.
>

>     c. We intend to present the RIF artifacts for GeoSPARQL 1.0 and 1.1
> online with persistent URIs that will resolve and communicate resource
> Media Types via HTTP Content Negotiation. We could present multiple media
> types for the same artifact (RIF in XML & Presentation Syntax). Does this
> have precedent in the RIF community?
>

> This sounds reasonable. I do not recall seeing a precedent though.
>

> Next I include a snippet of our RIF document below. It is highly
> repetitive so I have only included the first 2 ForAll elements.
>

> The snippet looks good.
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
> Michael Kifer
>

> ----------
> Document (
>     Prefix (geo <http://www.opengis.net/ont/geosparql#>)
>     Prefix (geof <http://www.opengis.net/def/function/geosparql/>)
>
>     Group (
>         # geo:sfEquals
>         Forall ?f1 ?f2 ?g1 ?g2 ?g1Serial ?g2Serial (
> [...]

kind regards
*Dr Nicholas Car*
Data Systems Architect at SURROUND Australia Pty Ltd
Address  Level 9, Nishi Building,
                  2 Phillip Law Street
                  New Acton Canberra 2601
Phone     +61 477 560 177 <++61+477+560+177>
Email       nicholas.car@surroundaustralia.comWebsite
https://www.surroundaustralia.com

*Enhancing Intelligence Within Organisations*
*delivering evidence that connects decisions to outcomes*

[image: Australian-National-University-Logo-1 – ANU Centre for Water and
Landscape Dynamics]

*Dr Nicholas Car*
Adj. Senior Lecturer

Research School of Computer Science