Re: RDF representation for RIF

Back in Novermber, Paul wrote [1]:

> I'm very interested in an RDF representation for RIF. This would allow
> RDF databases with rule engines to store RIF without needing to resort
> to an external storage format (or having to store everything in an RDF
> literal). I've spoken with a few other people who'd like to see this
> as well.

> While it's possible to do the mapping privately, it reduces the
> utility and portability of the data drastically. The ideal solution
> for folks like me is to have a standardized vocabulary for expressing
> RIF in RDF.

and David replied [2]:

> I agree. I have been working on a RIF ontology (in OWL) which allows you
> to embed RIF in RDF. It is only partial at present, but could I think be
> completed. I use this to represent rationale, where RDF "Entailment"
> objects associate premises and conclusions in RIF.

Sorry for the long delay before replying.  I've been working on a
document, to be published as a Working Group Note, which specifies such
a mapping.  You can see a current partial draft of the document here:

   http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/RIF_In_RDF

That draft documents my first version of a mapping, which I no longer
think is quite right: it does not preserve presentation order, and it
has the unfortunate property that subgraphs of a graph storing a
representation of a RIF document will sometimes also convey different
RIF documents.  Both of these issues are addressed in a new version I'm
designing which uses rdf:Lists in more places.  When the document is
ready, I'll let you know and ask for your review.

Knowing that this work is underway, are you now satisfied that the
concerns about RIF expressed in your comments have been addressed?
Procedurally, it would be helpful to have an answer from each of you
now, as we're preparing to advance to Proposed Recommendation.

    -- Sandro

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-comments/2009Nov/0004
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-comments/2009Nov/0005