Re: XML Schemata for RIF-FLD

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply.
The new version of the FLD XML Schema
has improved things. I would also like to mention
that in case there is any need for help with developing & testing
of XML Schemas for RIF I would be glad to help.
I will also keep you posted with my efforts in building
any language extensions to RIF and/or RuleML translators.

Best Regards,
Nick

O/H Chris Welty έγραψε:
> Nick,
>
> Hi, thanks for the feedback and actually checking the schema.
>
> Nick Bassiliades wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to congratulate the WG for a thorough and careful work
> > on defining a rule standard for the web. It is important that the
> > current standard is based on previous attempts, such as RuleML, so
> > that interoperability with existing systems/prototypes is maintained.
> >
> > Mostly, I would like to comment on the XML Schema for RIF-FLD (this may
> > be present on other RIF-related Schemata; I didn't check).
> >
> > Specifically, in the FLDSkyline.xsd file there are two lines:
> >
> > <xs:include schemaLocation="FLDBaseline.xsd"/>
> > <xs:redefine schemaLocation="FLDBaseline.xsd">
> >
> > which actually should not co-exist, because xs:redefine implies that an
> > external schema file is included, but some of the definitions in there
> > are redefined. As a consequence, the above XML Schema file does not
> > validate in e.g. XMLSpy. Actually, only the redefine is needed.
>
> Thanks for catching this bug. While it validated in XSV, there were
> warnings. We thus dropped the xs:include and merged the two
> xs:redefine's in v. 1.4 of FLDSkyline.xsd
> (http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/FLD#Skyline_Schema_Module).
>
> > Furthermore, I would like to remark that currently the XML Schema
> > definitions for various elements are not opted for modularity and
> > extensibility. For example, the definition of the element "Implies"
> > encapsulates its complex data type, not allowing for redefinition by an
> > extension of FLD.
> >
> > For example, I'm working on a defeasible logic extension of RIF-FLD,
> > where I would like to add some attributes to indicate the rule type
> > (strict, defeasible, defeater). However, since the complexType of
> > "Implies" is not named, I cannot redefine it, including an attribute
> list.
> >
> > I believe that since RIF is supposed to be a family of languages,
> > extending one another, this extensibility should be taken into account
> > for the XML Schemata.
>
> The current XML Schema started with two top-level modules
> (FLDBaseline.xsd and FLDSkyline.xsd). Further modularization, possibly
> including the fine-grained modularity you are proposing, is a topic of
> upcoming efforts.
>
> Please acknowledge receipt of this email to
> <mailto:public-rif-comments@w3.org> (replying to this email should
> suffice). In your acknowledgment please let us know whether or not you
> are satisfied with the working group's response to your comment.
>
> -The RIF WG

* Dr. Nick Bassiliades, Assistant Professor                  *
* Dept. of Informatics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki *
* 54124 Thessaloniki, Greece                                 *
* Tel: +302310997913   E-mail: nbassili@csd.auth.gr          *
* Fax: +302310998419   URL: http://www.csd.auth.gr/~nbassili *
* ISKP (Intelligent Systems & Knowledge Processing) Group    *