Re: rif:text / owl:internationalizedString

Jos de Bruijn wrote:

>> One option you put forward is to add _INTERNATIONALIZEDSTRING_ to the
>> rdf namespace. While this indeed looks as the most natural fit, the
>> way the RDF Semantics is formulated[1] is by explicitly listing the
>> RDF vocabulary, including the only datatype that RDF introduces
>> (namely rdf:XMLLiteral). Ie, from a very formal point of view,
>> _adding_ a new term to that namespace might be a bit messy; does it
>> belong to the formal RDF vocabulary per RDF Semantics or not?
>
> Why would this be messy?  It is clearly not part of the RDF vocabulary,
> since, as you mentioned, the RDF semantics document lists the vocabulary
> explicitly.

Having a datatype used in rdf that is in the rdf namespace but is not
part of the rdf vocabulary (whereas another datatype, namely XML
Literal, is)... somehow makes me feel uneasy. Having said that it might
not have any practical effect, that is true.

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/