  • From: Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@cs.otago.ac.nz>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:32:32 +1200
  • Subject: Re: [SWIPL] xml format for rules (RIF)
  • To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
  • Cc: <swi-prolog@iai.uni-bonn.de>
On 27 Aug 2008, at 9:23 am, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> Since the common core (intersection) is so small, we've decided to
> pick
> a few points of standardization, or "dialects".  We're now done with
> the
> design of the first of these, which we call the "basic logic dialect"
> (BLD).

It's "so small" that it takes 35 pages to specify it?

I'm trying to think of any non-trivial set of rules that I would be
content to have treated either by Prolog or by a production system,
and coming up with nothing.

This looks to me like a classic case of filling a much needed gap.

I'm a little puzzled to see no reference to KIF,
especially given the existence of
http://www.w3.org/2000/07/hs78/KIF.html

Make that "I am astounded to see no reference".
My reply:

Forwarded message 2

> On 27 Aug 2008, at 9:23 am, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> > Since the common core (intersection) is so small, we've decided to
> > pick
> > a few points of standardization, or "dialects".  We're now done with
> > the
> > design of the first of these, which we call the "basic logic dialect"
> > (BLD).
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-bld/
>
> It's "so small" that it takes 35 pages to specify it?

It takes a lot of text to specify a language precisely.  This document
also includes examples and a fairly long XML Schema which isn't really
meant for human consumption.

If you have suggestions for how to improve the specification, we'd like
to hear them.

> I'm trying to think of any non-trivial set of rules that I would be
> content to have treated either by Prolog or by a production system,
> and coming up with nothing.

How about data mapping rules?  This intersection is datalog with
builtins, right?

Not very interesting stuff for a prolog programmer, but still useful for
some applications.

Also, as I say, we don't consider this intersection to be powerful
enough, so that's why we have dialects other than "Core", including this
one (BLD) which includes things like function terms.  There are some
plans for adding things like (gasp) Negation.

> This looks to me like a classic case of filling a much needed gap.

Well, time will tell on that one.  A number of us have put a lot of work
into this believing it will be useful.   I hope it turns out to be.

> I'm a little puzzled to see no reference to KIF,
> especially given the existence of
> http://www.w3.org/2000/07/hs78/KIF.html
>
> Make that "I am astounded to see no reference".

I see your point.  Would it help to have a section in the introduction
which listed related work and spent a paragraph relating RIF BLD to
each of them?  Other than KIF, what would you suggest is important?

(Obvously, Prolog would be good to list in such a section.  I'm not sure
which versions/references to make.  I haven't personally followed the
work on ISO Prolog, being happy to just use SWI Prolog.  I suspect some
others in the group know more than I do on this.)

     -- Sandro
His more detailed reply:

Forwarded message 3