Re: The challenge of serving *EVERYONE* (was RE: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users)

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 14:14 -0700, Mark Watson wrote:
>
> > The rights owner certainly loses something of real value through the
> > act of infringement (a potential customer).
>
> This is a non sequitur.  The fact that a person infringes copyright does
> not imply that they would have been a customer had they been unable to
> infringe.

​Yes, but I said "potential" customer. There was a probability ​they would
become a customer that was non-zero on average before they infringed and
lower after they infringed. The difference in probability multiplied by the
number of such events multiplied by the price of legally obtaining the
content is the expected value of the loss caused by infringement.

...Mark