Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 8:08 AM, cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:

> On 2014-05-16 14:55 David Singer wrote:
> > * for content owners, DRM adds significantly to the costs and complexity
> of
> > operation; but they perceive the alternative to be widespread copying and
> > lost revenue
>
> uhuh...
>
> not this myth again, we've been over this:
>
> it's patently obvious that DRM does not stop piracy, as it only needs to be
> circumvented once, and there always seems to be someone that manages it
>
> the reason content owners want DRM is not because it stops copying, it
> clearly
> doesn't
>
> they want DRM because in concert with laws like the DMCA it gives them the
> leverage to force the (legal) distribution channels into idiotic things
> like
> region locks and non-skippable adds for 'soon in a theater near you' (years
> after that statement was true)

​EME, at least, doesn't support either of these things, so I don't think
your contention is correct for the technology we are considering here.

You will be able to look at Mozilla's open-source sandbox to verify that
the CDM does not have access to geographic information. Nor does the CDM
have the power to block the operation of the controls on the <video>
element. You will also be able to verify this in Mozilla's implementation.

Region restrictions for streamed content have nothing to do with DRM and
would still exist if DRM did not.

I do hope, though, that there will eventually be distributors with
sufficient scale to make global licensing worthwhile and that global
content licenses will become more available. They are rare for existing
content, since exclusive region-specific rights have often already been
sold, precluding future sale of global rights at least until those
exclusive region-specific rights expire.