Re: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

This seems more like public-restrictedmedia material, please don't
follow up on public-html-media.

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 4:45 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> What I don't understand is, given that there *are* Open Source browser
> engines out there, why doesn't the FSF, EFF and Mr. Doctorow band together
> and release their own, non DRM browser to the waiting millions who simply
> cannot live with an EME enabled browser?

The FSF is already distributing https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
, which, I believe, among other things removes the facilitation of
Adobe Flash Player download* compared to Firefox as distributed by
Mozilla. I'd be surprised if IceCat didn't end up removing the
facilitation of Adobe Access download when its offered without the
Flash runtime around it.

But maybe the FSF is aware of IceCat not having enough leverage to rid
the Web of DRM, so it's not enough to just offer IceCat to make DRM go
away. (Some commentators seem to think that Firefox could have such
leverage. I don't.)

* https://twitter.com/hsivonen/status/466689493815549953
https://twitter.com/hsivonen/status/466845056310075392 (Apologies to
the FSF for "no one" in the latter tweet in order to fit the memetic
pattern.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi