RE: W3C HTML Fork without Digital Restriction Management

On 2014-01-16 13:13, Fred Andrews wrote:

> the W3C
> has recently changed their HTML WG charter and their interpretation
> of
> the principles of the web looks very weak to me - lets just dispute
> their decisions

Why?  The W3C leadership are free to take the organisation wherever
they wish.

The free Internet, with an open web, is an old idea.  The idea for the
Internet now is an authorised network, monitored by the government and
with creative works protected using proprietary technology.  There are
those who reject this idea are taking on the task of building a new
network which supports human freedom¹²³.  But the W3C is not going
there.  They've planted their flag.  The MPAA has been welcomed.

If you're concerned about an open web, why waste your energy on the W3C
when it could be used much more effectively elsewhere?

¹
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/05/government-betrayed-internet-nsa-spying
²
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21929294.500-meshnet-activists-rebuilding-the-internet-from-scratch.html