Re: W3C HTML Fork without Digital Restriction Management

Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> And, again, we are interested in getting a good technical
> specification that is interoperably implemented as widely as
> possible, and not in getting some kind of political statement from
> the W3C about DRM. Can we have one without the other ? Given it's
> membership, getting such a statement - in either direction - seems
> unlikely and is IMO unnecessary.

Well when the Internet governance ecosystem is such that the Internet
governance institutions are unwilling or unwilling to make political
any decisions --not even political decision that are in fact logical
consequences of their own principles-- that will tend to serve the
interests of those who are economically powerful just fine, while
advocates for other perspectives, including public interest
perspectives, are effectively sidelined.

This is not how things are supposed to work in democratic societies.

Greetings,
Norbert