Re: Watermarking Re: Dear EFF: Please don't pick the wrong fight

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 27, 2013, at 3:55 AM, Emmanuel Revah <stsil@manurevah.com> wrote:

> On 2013/10/26 18:05, Mark Watson wrote:
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> On Oct 26, 2013, at 8:10 AM, cobaco <cobaco@freemen.be> wrote:
>>> - to be outwitted by the pirates yet again
>> The easiest way to outsmart individual watermarking is probably to
>> steal someone else's credentials or otherwise fool the system that
>> provides your identity, that is then linked to the watermark.
>

> Perhaps fix your authentification system ?
>
> When someone points out that DRM can and will be broken your reply is that you aren't looking for a 100% unbreakable system, rather something strong enough to dissuade most people. Here's talk of a non-DRM solution to dissuade people from sharing illegaly and suddenly the system needs to be 100% unbreakable.

I'm not setting requirements here. What I meant is that stolen
credentials and the resultant false accusations are an issue for the
legitimate users who are falsely accused. You need to consider this
and ask whether this risk for legitimate users is better or worse than
the issues you see with DRM.

> Also, if a watermarked copy is leaked because of a stolen password then at least it will be possible to inform that user and ask him/her to change their password.

Except that the copyright holder may believe that it was the user
whose password was stolen who did the leaking.

> And one last thing, it will be MUCH easier to break the DRM than to steal someone else's password, not to mention the risks of getting caught using someone elses credentials, which is probably more reprehensible than sharing a file.

I'm not talking about the average user stealing passwords. I'm talking
about large scale infringement where an unsuspecting user is falsely
accused because it is their watermark on the files being illegally
distributed. That user suffers the stress and indignity of proving
their innocence.

I'm not making claims or judgements about the relative seriousness of
this issue, only saying that it should be considered.

...Mark