Re: Trust

Hi Marjolein

I think the cases are very different.  If people use stock photography without permission, they do it in something commercial, that matters to the owner -- on their web site, in print, etc.  Owners of photographs are not terribly worried about people viewing them at home.

They can also 'watermark' these to trace who did the purchase, and they can check that the purchase and use match.  (Yes, there are watermarks that survive printing, I think).

This is very different from users downloading movies for their own enjoyment.

On Oct 19, 2013, at 0:00 , Marjolein Katsma Photography <photography@marjoleinkatsma.com> wrote:

>> Do you really believe in mutual trust in this world ? I would love to believe this but sorry, this is an utopian view.
>
> No, it's just common practice. If you want a photo for your website, or a magazine, you can go to a photostock company, find an image that matches what you need and buy a license for your usage. You can choose what you you need a license for, and for how long, and the price you pay depends on that. Maybe you want exclusive usage of the photo, then you'd pay more for that (because you'd be the only one paying for it). Then you get the photo.
>
> No DRM. Just the photo, for you to use as you've chosen to use it. The stock seller effectively trusts you to stick to that license. You trust the stock agency (or photographer) if you buy exclusive use, that they will indeed not sell it to someone else. Like most any contract, this contract depends on trust - but if any party breaks that trust, there is the law (not necessarily copyright law even: contract law is probably sufficient). This is how it *works* and has worked for many decades. I'm just describing one common practice of selling and buying photographs (there are more, of course).
>
> No 'Utopia' here: just one (very common) business practice.
>
> Next time you see a photo in a magazine, on a web site, or on a book cover, or on the coasters on your table, think about how that photo got there, and how DRM plays no role at all - but trust does. (How would you even *do* DRM for printed photos? :))
>
> --
> Marjolein Katsma Photography
> http://www.artflakes.com/en/shop/marjoleink
> http://marjoleink.photoshelter.com/